Train to be a professional Baselight colourist with support from FilmLight
How to take part
Complete the form on the right side of this page to register your interest in the Baselight Learning Programme.
As Baselight STUDENT is specifically intended to help people learn how to work with Baselight professionally, the licence is limited to a 90-day training period; however, we understand that sometimes other commitments get in the way, so this can be reviewed if necessary when your licence expires.
A growing number of facilities are looking for trained Baselight colourists and assistants. That’s why we’ve developed Baselight STUDENT, a software-only macOS application. It’s a perfect learning tool, either for training to become a professional colourist, or for experienced practitioners moving up to Baselight from other applications.
Professional grading experience
Baselight STUDENT is a comprehensive version of FilmLight’s Baselight colour grading software—with GPU rendering—that runs on any supported Mac platform. This includes support for an optional control surface, like our Slate panel, and even SDI monitoring for a full grading suite experience.
The principle limitation is that the application is restricted to render out only h.264* movies or JPEG images. With no watermarking, this means that Baselight STUDENT can be used to create academic-year projects within the limitation of the delivery formats. Along with conform capability, colour space handling, format editing and the ability to render both image sequences and movie files, this also makes the application the ideal tool to learn how to start your career as a professional colourist assistant.
Join the Baselight Learning Programme
FilmLight encourages individuals who want to learn to grade on Baselight, or to move up to Baselight from another application, to register for our Baselight Learning Programme.
Baselight holds a special place in professional colour grading so we are keen that everyone who learns to use the application remains in contact with FilmLight, so we can help you along the way to achieve your goal. That’s why, even though the application is free, you must register in our programme to obtain a copy.
For selected educational establishments, FilmLight is also developing an accredited course centred around colour grading with Baselight. Contact us at [email protected] for further details.
The student application is built from exactly the same software source as the full Baselight system. That means that it will always be up-to-date with the latest release.
For a full list of Baselight functionality, please see the datasheets in the Document Library on our web site. Some of the highlights of Baselight STUDENT include:
- Support for control surfaces including Slate (but not Blackboard).
- Optional AJA SDI monitoring.
- 4:2:0 Y’CbCr cache allowing playback on lower-end machines.
- Rendering capability for h.264* movies or JPEG image sequences.
As this is the student version of the Baselight grading system, there are of course some restrictions. These are listed below:
- 90-day licence.
- Only available on macOS.
- Only available to validated users - it is not freely distributable.
- You must register with us to obtain a copy.
- The Blackboard control panel is not supported.
- Render out is limited to h.264* and JPEG formats.
- Cannot access or import full Baselight scenes (and vice versa).
- The student version uses a different database structure for jobs and scenes, so you cannot share projects between Baselight STUDENT and full Baselight.
- No BLG export or update AAF workflow.
- No consolidate functionality.
- Supported on macOS 10.9-10.12.
- MacBook Pro, Mac Pro or iMac.
- 1GB GPU memory.
- 8GB RAM.
- Mac Pro 6.1.
- 2GB GPU memory.
- 16GB RAM.
- External high-performance disk system for local playback.
Join the Programme
Fill in the form below and our Programme Coordinator will get back to you. You will usually receive a response within three working days.
All fields are mandatory unless stated otherwise.
By clicking ‘Register’ you agree to join the FilmLight mailing list and may be contacted by a member of our team.